Thursday, April 9, 2020

He Who Watches Review at OSR News!



Yikes!  

This review was done more than a year ago, but I was oblivious for all that time.

Belated thanks to Jeremy of  OSR News and Reviews for posting (in 2019) a detailed, even-handed review of my first-born (or rather first-conceived) child:

                                Click here for He Who Watches review at OSR News and Reviews

I laughed out loud reading the paragraph starting with "The PDF is horrendously ugly..." - all the criticisms are spot-on!  My only defense is... Daniel Johnston, Roky Erikson, John Waters.

A trashy Egyptsploitation DIY vibe was my only guide out of the wilderness of my own skull for this 2016-2017 joint.  I hope DMs buying and running this with their players will enjoy surfing on a similar vibe.  Also, I had written the thing before I had absorbed the design and layout Best Practices advocated by Bryce Lynch of tenfootpole.org

To answer the burning question of "What was he THINKING by doing that?" read:

                                  Top 10 Reasons I Wrote He Who Watches 

Jeremy's review ends with a fine summary of the soul of the adventure:

               He Who Watches is far from a perfect module, but it exemplifies
               the best of what the OSR is about, unleashing people's creativity
               and it has that sort of whimsy found in the early days that is often
               lost in modern products.






No comments:

Post a Comment