Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Non-Sequiturs and then Meaning

Made by me with substantial help from G. B. Piranesi's Carceri; additional inspiration from Nicolas Roeg's Don't Look Now
Pardon me for the fuzziness and non-sequiturs - I don't feel that great, have to work second shift soon, and the rain is making a sound like slow chewing and swallowing outside.

I just finished reading my friend's 177-page novel-in-progress.  It's very difficult to focus and give decent critique.  My hat is off to those who can and do: Bryce Lynch , Melan , Prince of Nothing , Ynas Midgard among others. 

I am also grateful and amazed at the energy and sincere interest people like Zach of Zenopus Archives , Jeremy Frothsof of Thought Eater, Alex Schroeder who compiles Old School RPG Planet bring to spotlight other people's creative work.

James Smith  of  Dreams of Mythic Fantasy was one of these people with a true enthusiasm in encouraging others' creativity.  As of April 2019, his family needs help with funeral costs.  Like me, and many people I know, he had no life insurance or decent savings.  See this post from his family on his blog for a link to Paypal where you can donate if you are willing and able.


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the mention, I appreciate that. I too really appreciate what Alex does...he must have a genius IQ. And Zach posted today that he archived the Holmes G+ community content. We are lucky to have cool talented people around. Keep up the good work on your blog; I always check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to read encouragement, Mr. Frothsof - My skull is often full of thunderclouds clashing and it's hard to focus enough to create anything decent, and THEN I psych myself out too much to post anything. I ask myself if what I create IS adequate- when X on his blog invents a genius twist on a rule mechanic, Y on her blog posts a brilliant woodcut created with her own customized burin over 3 years of work, and Z on his blog digs up a 1972 white paper proving small-scale accidental iridium-192 radioisotope leaks into Lake Geneva's municipal water supply increased creativity (and tolerance for gonzo sci-fi/fantasy mixing) in its citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind words!

    Showing enthusiasm, regaling others with play reports, showing off maps and notes scribbled on a piece of paper, and in general cheering for the hobby are all adequate ways to participate in the community (I think this very topic came up recently on Handy Haversack's blog in the comments).

    Plus, you've already released, like, three adventures with a fourth in the making (that I know of)!

    ReplyDelete