Saturday, February 16, 2019

Otto's Dance of Death

That could be the name of a spell.  But it's also the title of a post on 50 watts.com about German painter and woodcut-engraver Otto Wirsching (1889-1919) featuring a series of Totentanz pictures he created.

Whose woods these are I think I know, his house is in the village, though...

I couldn't help manhandling the great Wirsching's work, which, like Robert Frost's Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening, is public domain now.



Which cover for my upcoming revamp of The Lost Lush is best?

Which imparts a better "urban picaresque" (badass term to describe the adventures I like best, coined by Tom of Fear of a Black Dragon podcast - apparently he's a British expat in Hong Kong who speaks Portuguese, lived in Brazil, and is a capoeira enthusiast) tone?

Even if it is misleadingly too dark and not comic enough, is it just too awesome to pass up as a cover?

I'm trying to channel David A. Trampier, who kicks Larry Elmore's tuchus 1000 ways to Sunday.

This is one of the older ones I made (using work from a MUCH older, even MORE public domain artist) which commenting folks liked, due to the black background:


No comments:

Post a Comment